By: Sabrina Huda Sanchez
The egg tart, or tea tart, is a small pastry crust filled with an egg custard. Egg tarts are most popular in Hong Kong and Portugal but have made their way into American stomachs. Typically they are eaten plain with a flaky crust and golden yellow custard top. In 2019, the famous restaurant chain KFC took the egg tart to another level by adding brown sugar boba on top!
Brown Sugar Boba is a beloved treat enjoyed in Asia that is added to milk tea drinks. Recently many people have been experimenting with boba in other desserts such as ice creams, cakes, and cookies. We recreated the KFC brown sugar boba tea tart using top quality Tea Zone tapioca pearls. Check out the recipe below:
Brown Sugar Boba Egg Tart Recipe
The recipe is made up of three parts: the pastry crust, the custard, and the boba. It’s best to complete the boba first then the pastry and finally the custard because each component requires some time to sit or simmer.
Boba/ Tapioca Pearls
This preparation uses the entire bag of boba. To make less, be sure to reduce the ingredients accordingly.
‧ 1 bag Tea Zone Original Tapioca Pearls
‧ 4 oz Tea Zone Logan Honey
‧ 16 oz Dark Brown Sugar
1. In a 24 qt. stockpot, add 20 qt. of water and bring to a boil over high heat.
2. Turn heat to medium and place Tea Zone Original Tapioca Pearls into boiling water and stir for approx. 15 seconds to keep them separated. Wait for the water to heat back up to a small boil/simmer.
3. Continue to simmer on low heat for 30 minutes and stir every 5 to 10 minutes.
*** While the boba is simmering, make the sugar mixture. ***
4. Mix honey and dark brown sugar in 32 oz hot water until everything is well diluted.
5. After 30 minutes, turn off the heat, place the pot on a cool surface, and let it sit for an additional 35 minutes while covered.
6. Carefully strain and rinse boba in a large colander to remove excess starch before soaking in a sugar mixture.
7. Let it soak for 10 minutes prior to serving. Stir cooked boba every hour.
‧ 2 cups flour
‧ ½ cup butter, room temperature
‧ ¼ cup sugar
‧ 2 tbsp eggs, beaten
‧ Pinch of Salt
‧ 1 oz water
1. Add all the ingredients into a bowl and mix together by hand until a dough is formed
2. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and set aside for 30 minutes.
***Move on to Custard Filling while you wait.***
3. preheat oven to 400∘F.
4. Divide dough into 16 even balls.
‧ 4 Eggs, beaten
‧ ¾ cup hot water
‧ 6 tbsp sugar
‧ ¼ cup evaporated milk
‧ Pinch of salt
‧ Dash of vanilla extract
1. Add sugar and salt into a bowl with hot water then stir until dissolved. Allow the mixture to cool for at least 5 minutes.
2. Add beaten eggs into the cooled sugar water mixture and stir.
3. To the same bowl, stir in evaporated milk and vanilla until well combined.
4. Strain custard mixture to ensure there are no lumps then refrigerate to cool.
Assembly of the Boba Egg Tart Once you have all your components ready, here is how you put it all together.
1. Spray the cupcake pan with non-stick spray then press one dough ball at a time into each cupcake section. Ensure dough is evenly spread throughout.
2. Pour custard into dough cups only ¾ the way up
3. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until you see a golden custard
4. Allow the egg tarts to cool before topping with a generous helping of prepared boba.
Did you try the recipe? Share your creation with us on Instagram and use #lollicuprecipe !
YouTube: Lollicup Store