By: Sabrina Huda Sanchez
The go-to hot chocolate experience is grabbing a packet of cocoa powder then stirring it into hot water and topping with mini marshmallows. It’s time to make the preparation of hot cocoa just as fun as drinking it with hot chocolate bombs! Cookies and Cream started as an ice cream flavor but has since made it into our hearts and stomachs in the form of snacks, drinks and desserts. This hot chocolate recipe creates cookies and cream spheres that are filled with crushed Oreos in addition to cocoa powder and mini marshmallows. Hope you enjoy this cookies and cream hot chocolate bomb recipe as much as we did!
What are Hot Chocolate Bombs?
Hot chocolate bombs are spheres made out of melted chocolate that contains cocoa powder and marshmallows inside. These are placed into a cup and melted when hot liquid, such as milk, is poured over. Once the outer shell has been melted, the cocoa can be mixed together to create a delicious cup of hot chocolate. There is no limit to flavor combinations you can put inside!
Cookies and Cream Hot Chocolate Bombs Recipe
This recipe makes 3 large spheres.
‧ 8- 10 Oreo cookies
‧ 6 - 8 oz White Chocolate melting candy
‧ 6 Tbs Cappuccine Cookies & Cream Frappe Mix
‧ 1 cup mini marshmallows
1. Finely crush Oreos. See below for different ways to crush Oreos.
2. Melt the white chocolate melting candy in a microwave safe bowl.
3. Add 2 Tbs of crushed Oreos into the melted white chocolate and mix in.
4. Pour a thin layer of cookies and cream mixture into each of the half sphere molds then shake the mold to ensure full and even coating. Insert into the freezer for 5-10 minutes to harden.
5. Pop the half spheres out of the mold. Take 3 half spheres and rub the edges over a hot surface to create a flat even edge. (See below for tips on this step)
6. Fill 3 of the half spheres with a spoon each of hot cocoa powder, crushed Oreos, and mini marshmallows.
7. Take the remaining 3 half spheres and repeat step 5 to flatten the edges, then immediately cover the filled halves to seal the sphere. Run your finger along the sealed edge to smooth out.
8. Drizzle remaining cookies and cream mixture over the chocolate bomb then sprinkle crushed Oreos on top.
Different methods to crush Oreos
A food processor is what professional bakers prefer to use since it’s made to pulverize. This is the quickest and easiest way to create an Oreo powder.
For those without a food processor, a blender can work too. You may need to scrap the sides with a spatula in between pulses to reach the blade.
This is the cheapest and probably the most fun method. Add your Oreos in a Ziplock bag, seal it, then start smashing them with the bottom of a saucepan… or anything heavy. When smashing on a countertop, place a cloth underneath the bag to avoid damaging the counter.
Options to melt sphere edges
This hack was used by The Station Bakery. Turn on the electric cup warmer, add a piece of parchment paper on top, then place the open end of the half sphere down while twisting a turning to flatten the edges.
Take a microwave safe plate and heat it up in the microwave. Use oven mitts or a cloth to help you remove it from the microwave without burning yourself. For easy clean up, use a parchment paper on top of the plate or simply twist and turn the half sphere edges directly onto the heated plate. Voila!
Did you try the recipe? Share your creation with us on Instagram and use #lollicuprecipe !