By: Sabrina Huda Sanchez
Cake pops are fun and versatile treats that are great to sell in your coffee shop or for personal events such as birthday parties and baby showers. Learning how to make cake pops is so easy too! Cake pop recipes can be made from scratch or by using a boxed cake mix -- either way, you will be able to save money by making your own.
The best thing about making these bite-sized treats is that even an amateur baker can create colorful or themed pops. We made vibrant purple cake pops using taro powder but you can just as simply change it up using a little food coloring with a white cake base. Preparing a gender reveal? Dye the inside of the pop pink or blue then coat the outside for a delicious surprise!
Taro Cake Pop Recipe
‧ 1 package white cake mix
‧ 1 cup water
‧ 3 eggs
‧ ⅓ cup vegetable oil
‧ 1 container vanilla frosting
‧ ⅓ cup + 1 tbsp Tea Zone Taro Powder
‧ White chocolate melting candy
‧ Lollipop sticks
1. Bake the cake mix according to box directions.
2. After the cake has cooled, cut off the browned edges.
3. Crumble the rest of the cake in a large bowl.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together the vanilla frosting with ⅓ cup of taro powder until well combined.
5. Add a heaping scoop of taro vanilla frosting into the crumbled cake bowl and use your hands to mush together. Add a little more frosting at a time as needed to create a moist cake mixture. Note: you may not need all the frosting.
6. Scoop 2 tablespoons of cake crumb mixture and roll it into a ball. Repeat until all the cake is used.
7. Place cake balls into the freezer for 15 minutes.
8. Melt the white chocolate candies in a tall glass in the microwave; pour a little chocolate in a small container for later use.
9. Take the lollipop sticks and dip the end into the glass of melted white chocolate then stick it into the cake ball about a quarter of the way in. Do this to all the cake balls and place them onto a sheet tray.
10. Place the tray into the freezer for 5 minutes to help reinforce the sticks.
Time to Decorate!
11. Hold the cake pop stick and dip the cake pop into the tall glass of melted white chocolate; ensure it is completely coated then allow excess chocolate to drip.
12. Put the stick in a foam board or anything that can similarly hold them up to dry.
13. For additional decorating, take the small container of melted chocolate and mix in remaining taro powder to create a purple color. Drizzle the taro white chocolate over the finished cake pops. Add sprinkles or cake crumble on top for something extra!
Serve a scoop with whip cream and chocolate drizzle!
Did you try the recipe? Share your creation with us on Instagram and use #lollicuprecipe !
YouTube: Lollicup Store