By: Alyssa Deguzman
Being conscious about the environment goes beyond just worrying about plastic bags. The way we package food and beverages is just as crucial. Make the switch and choose eco-friendly products that can be composted or recycled and be part of the movement to put a stop to climate change.
According to Business Wire, in the last five years alone, 85 percent of people globally have shifted their purchase behavior. Consumers have begun prioritizing sustainability and are now engaging with sustainable businesses in ways that they previously ignored. Just in the US, 61 percent of consumers said sustainability is rated as an important purchase criterion.
What are Eco-Friendly Products?
Over the last few years, terms such as eco-friendly, environmentally friendly, and going green are being used more often, creating a buzz. Eco-Friendly products prevent contributions to air, water, and land pollution and are generally made from any materials that are gathered from a natural source. They help our planet because they avoid toxic chemicals known to cause any harm.
Eco-friendly products also promote green living or green manufacturing methods that lessen the amount or types of resources used. In the long run, shifting to eco-friendly products is a beneficial investment because they are more cost efficient and last longer. It’s also important to use eco-friendly packaging at your restaurants, cafes, boba shops, or any other businesses to reduce pollution and to contribute to making the environment a safer place.
Biodegradable products are made from mineral-based, plant, or animal sources. They are designed to be broken down naturally with ease. According to Science Direct, because plastic and other wastes are not properly disposed, they often make their way into the environment. If plastic is petroleum-based, it won’t break down and could last for centuries. Due to this reoccurring problem, industrial biotechnology has produced biodegradable plastic materials to replace many nondegradable petroleum-based plastics. PLA (polylactic acid) is a specific type of bioplastic and is a great replacement to regular plastic.
Biodegradable Product Alternatives:
- Bio-Based Utensils – Made from corn starches, allows product materials to breakdown
- Paper Straws – Made entirely of paper material which naturally disintegrates over time
- PLA Straws – Plant-based substitute to plastic straws
- PLA Cups – Plant-based replacement to plastic cups
Compostable packaging has gained popularity throughout the years. They are made of only organic material that can be turned into nutrient-rich compost. Compost is decomposed natural substances that can be used to fertilize soil. The difference between compostable and biodegradable products is that everything compostable is biodegradable, but not everything biodegradable is compostable. The goal of compostable packaging is to achieve more sustainable food packaging.
Compostable Product Selections:
- Hot & Cold Paper Cups – Made with plant-based lining instead of plastic coating
- Bagasse Hinged Containers – Natural byproduct of harvesting sugarcanes
- Paper Food Container – Made from renewable resources
- BambooTrays – Biodegradable and not made with any harmful chemicals, PFAS Free
- CPLA Utensils – Strong cutlery made from PLA and lactic acid
- Wooden Utensils – Alternative to plastic cutlery
- Bagasse Plates – Sturdy and made from sugarcane fibers
- Bagasse Bowls – Can be decomposed
- Paper Napkins – Made from plant materials
- Cup Accessories (carriers and holder) – Made from paper, compostable and biodegradable
Reduce, reuse, recycle is a phrase most people are familiar with. Recyclable products are made from reusable materials that would normally be tossed out. Recycling benefits communities and the environment because it’s a process that collects and processes materials that would otherwise be thrown away as trash and turns them into new products. When using recyclable products, you are contributing to conserving natural resources, saving energy, and reducing pollution.
Recyclable Product Options:
- Paper Bags – 100% reusable and recyclable.
- Mineral-Filled Hinged Containers – Rinse after use and toss into recycling bin
- PET Plastic Cups – Manufactured in the USA and made with 30-50% recycled material
- Microwavable Containers – Can be used for meal prep or catering and recycled afterward
- PET Salad Bowls – made from PET plastic which can be recycled
Why Use Eco-Friendly Products?
Using eco-friendly products will make your business sustainable and help the environment. When packaging food and beverages, choosing packaging that is 100% biodegradable, compostable and recyclable offers an eco-friendly alternative to landfill.
LollicupStore has all your essentials to going green. We offer biodegradable, compostable, and recyclable products to contribute to your eco-friendly restaurant necessities.